For the second time in three seasons the Giants are San Francisco’s treat. They’ve won four National League pennants since Los Angeles’ last one in 1988, they’ve been the better organization for a quarter of a century, and Bruce Bochy goes for another World Series victory beginning Wednesday night at AT&T Park.

And good Dodger fans everywhere mourn. Cardinals fans do too, I suppose, but who the bleep cares about them this evening? Their team choked, plain and simple, and by barely squeaking into the playoffs on the back of something known only as the “second wild card,” didn’t deserve a chance to repeat anyway.

The debate is over. Frisco won going away and is the class of the NL, its best team by plenty and a worthy league representative. My friends and I will root against them with every fiber of our being, but they are a worthy representative.

San Francisco finishes the playoffs with its league’s best manager, its likely-MVP in Buster Posey, and sports a little godsend in Marco Scutaro. As much as I wanted him in Blue, I have no idea what’s gotten into the 36-year old infielder. Not a clue.

I do know this, however: teams win championships when surprisingly, nay, unexplainably-good things happen. And Scutaro qualifies on that score.

The Giants face Detroit’s Tigers with the stronger starting pitching, the better closer and home field advantage, unfairly-earned courtesy of cheating drug-abusing castaway Melky Cabrera. And they’re probably coming home with another ring. Or 25 rings, to be exact.

But look – and I say this proudly – I hate the Giants. I absolutely despise them. I hated them the day I was born, I’ve hated them my entire life, I hate them today, and there will be no apology tour for my saying so.

Forget the ridiculous pull-for-your-league crap, and the even more inane but-they’re-the-California-team idea. San Francisco is 400 miles from L.A., and as far as our respective baseball teams are concerned, that’s too close for my taste.

Giants fans hate us (and our city) to a greater degree – a much greater degree – than we do them and theirs (in fact, Angelinos generally love San Francisco, and aside from the Giants, what’s not to love?). To that point no one in either city will argue. So it’s the least I can do, as I congratulate them on their crown, is wish them unwell.

Good luck in the Series, evil Halloween-colored ones. May you be swept in as humiliating fashion as can possible by. May Justin Verlander blow you away while Miguel Cabrera and Prince Fielder splash hit you to Kingdom Come.

Lose, San Francisco. Lose badly. May you be 56 years between championships, as is your penchant. Lose, lose, lose, lose, lose. And we’ll see you at Dodger Stadium in April.

Please follow me on Twitter @Howard_Cole

586 responses

Do you want to comment?

Comments RSS ?

:When the Giants come to town
It’s…

October 23, 2012 5:39 pm

Gotta disagree about the pitching. I’ll take Verlander, Scherzer, Sanchez and Fister over Zito, Bumgarner, Cain and Lincecum (this year’s version, anyway).

October 23, 2012 5:39 pm

smiles from ear to ear….thanks for the passion….hope you host here in the coming days…it’s still baseballllll.

October 23, 2012 5:41 pm

Payback for 1987 NLCS and the Oquendo hit.  Glad the Cards were sent packing and the better team is representing the NL.

Good piece, Howard.

October 23, 2012 5:42 pm

@linkmeister Not Lincecum, Vogelsong. And I hope you’re right.

October 23, 2012 5:47 pm

@rotarandy will do, randy. it’s just four more games, right?

October 23, 2012 5:47 pm

I’ll be looking forward to going to a game in the AFL soon. Much rather go and see live baseball than watch two teams I don’t give a crap about!! Can’t wait to get to Arizona with a crowd size that would fit into my house all at once. Ahhhh! To sit there and have a beer and listen to the chatter on the field with the other 75 people in the stands. Now that is Heaven……. GO BLUE!!!!!

October 23, 2012 5:47 pm

Go Tigers!

Whatever happens, next year will be different.  Brooklyn and LA Dodger fans have been saying “Wait ’til Next Year” for decades.  THIS TIME WE MEANT IT.;

October 23, 2012 5:50 pm

Having lived in Giants country for 27 years now I have “grown” (SF feel good word) to not HATE the Giants, I just dislike when they suceed and my Dodgers end up looking stupid.  Really enjoy the comments

Dave in Corning, CA (formerly of Claremont)

October 23, 2012 6:00 pm

For years sports writers up here have been trotting out the time-worn and oft-repeated adage about the SF Giants – LA Dodgers rivaley:  that it means so much more to the Giants’ fans and that  the Dodgers’ fans are far from adamant  in their dislike of the Giants.  I llearned since joining this thread that that is a pile of horseshit.  Sounds good, seems plausible, but just ain’t so, I I have learned here.

The rationale behind this specious claim was typically – years ago, anyway – that all those years when the Giants had damn good teams and the Giants were time-and-again coming in second and/or otherwise seeing the Dodgers go to the playoffs and winning WS titles made the Giants’ fans jealous.  That is believable, even likely true for many Giants’ fans.  But that the D’s fans are any less vitriolic in their hate of the Giants, just read Howard’s piece above and the comments by the Blue Boys here over the last couple of months.

But I probably wouldn’t want it any other way.  Just an observation, to me a revelation.

October 23, 2012 6:03 pm

As I watched the Giants pile it on the Cards, I felt the life-energy of MLB 2012 finally run down the drain. It feels like the final outcome was meant to be, and I’m sorely disappointed. I do think it can be a good series if SF can carry their clutch hitting into the series-and the starters hold it together for 6 innings per outing-then it might not be a Tiger’s mauling. I’ll listen to the local broadcasters on MLB radio, because for some reason, that will make it easier to mentally absorb the series. Enjoy.

October 23, 2012 6:08 pm

@eppis1
 I disagree with the notion that the Tigers are favored because they are so much better than the Giants.  Sure, Tigers could very well win the series but the idea that it’s likely to be Tigers easily is crazy.

October 23, 2012 6:14 pm

@Howard Cole  @linkmeister Oops, you’re right. Shows how much attention I’ve been paying.

October 23, 2012 6:50 pm

This just shows, without a shadow of a doubt, that Satan has become more powerful than God.
I’m going to bed until spring training.
Don’t tell me who won the WS, OK?
(This means you, Tom.)

October 23, 2012 7:45 pm

Sorry Howard, but I could only read the headline on this one.  GO TIGERS!!!!!

October 23, 2012 9:03 pm

@Johnny Dodger
 I’m happy to inform you that I don’t know yet and thus I am unable to tell you, per your wishes, Sir Johnny D.

October 23, 2012 9:25 pm

@Tom in San Mateo  When I was in college at UCSB in the mid to late 80s, the makeup of the school was something like 60% south of SB, 35% north of SB, and about 5% other (out of state/country).  The dorm I was in for my freshman year in 1986 turned out to be at least 50% northern Cali – probably more.  What was shocking to me was just how much they hated, and I mean HATED, the LA teams and, for that matter, anything else that had to do with Los Angeles.  They never had a good word to say about anything within 50 miles of that disgusting, smog ridden, devil’s armpit called the City of Angels. This was so strange to me because, while I also hated the Giants and Niners, it wasn’t nearly as strong of a “hate” and I still thought cities like San Francisco, Monterey, and San Jose were great cities even if I didn’t care for their sports teams.

October 23, 2012 9:42 pm

@Steve in North Hollywood
 I can’t imagine feeling that way and then going to school at UCSB, one of the most beautiful areas on the planet.  That’s just silly youth.  about 20 years ago I spent nearly a week in West LA, just off Sunset.  it was December and I was blown away by the perfect weather.  Went to a bunch of parties, six foot models with lingusiticss degrees that seemed like total airheads, Kato Kaelin holding court.  It was the silliest cast of characters I ever saw.  Nearly all of them gorgeous and handsome.  The coolest guys I met were HS graduate southern rockers trying to make it.  They all hung out on the apt. patios smoking cigs and grass talking about how hard they were working.  I grew up in academic family but have an affinity for working-class guys, which group I identify with in large part.  I don’t hate LA, it’s really quite an area with fantastic weather, and I don’t hate the Dodgers, either.  In fact, I went to one doubleheader against the Dodgers at Candlestick Park and I hated the drunken vitriol shown by a certain ilk of stupid – or shall I say stoopid – so called Gtiants’ fans.  Can’t stand shit like that.  Hating somebody for rooting for their team.  As I’ve shared here before I asked my old man when I was an adult why he never took me to a Dodgers game up here and he said, too much like a football game, too many drunks.  He was ritght.

October 23, 2012 10:31 pm

Ugh… I am a staunch NL guy and can not root for the gnts… College Football… here I come!!  GO BRUINS!!

October 24, 2012 8:35 am

@DavidWinchell  Word.  Go Bruins!  And GO TIGERS!

October 24, 2012 10:06 am

@Tom in San Mateo  I’ve spent virtually my entire life in Los Angeles (other than 5 years in SB and a year in France) and I’ve rarely seen much of the Los Angeles that you visited.  And I spent 8-10 years in acting classes and auditions all over Hollywood/LA.  What I noticed more than anything is that in those types of environments where 6-foot models run rampant and degenerates like Kaelin are holding up the walls, there is a disproportionate percentage of LA transplants.  I was overrun by them in every acting class I had and in every place I’ve ever worked within the entertainment industry.  The dirty little secret about the “Industry”, in all it’s alleged liberal ass-holeness and douchebagery, is the fact that it’s made up mostly of non-LA types.  It’s the best and/or worst from all over the country and, for that matter, the planet.  I recently worked for two years freelance at ABC and I was one of a handful of Los Angelinos.  You would have thought I was from outer space.  And, although many of the people working there had come to LA from places like Chicago, Boston, NY, Michigan, Philly and Northern California because they wanted a job in said industry, most were truly enjoying the fruits of the city.  They were raising families in a great city with great weather and lots of stuff to do and, yet, cursing the very place that was providing them their livelihood.  ”Too much traffic”, “can’t get a real pizza”, “people are fake”, “too much plastic surgery”, “LA people don’t know how to drive when it rains”, “there’s no ‘city’ in Los Angeles”, “too much gang violence”, “there aren’t any seasons!!!” etc etc etc.However, when I traveled Europe and lived in France, they loved the fact that I was from Los Angeles.  To the Europeans,  I couldn’t have come from a more interesting place.  And, I think, this is the basis for much of the hating of Los Angeles and, by extension, the entire state of California, by the rest of the country.  To the Euro’s, California is a dream place and Los Angeles/Hollywood is it’s capitol.  Sure, NY is amazing and they love it too – especially the hard core city types – but being from LA was just flat out cool.

Anyway, here’s an interesting read I think a few of the people here might enjoy:  http://matadornetwork.com/notebook/why-san-francisco-hates-los-angeles/

October 24, 2012 10:55 am

@Steve in North Hollywood  @Tom in San Mateo I grew up in Pasadena and have been living in Santa Barbara the past 17 years after going to UCSB.  When I was in school I felt like the split between kids from NorCal & So Cal was tilted towards the northerners, but maybe that was just my group of friends.  I was a little surprised by their hatred and contempt for all things LA.  They’d spout off their NorCal talking points, which at the time was just smog and the Raiders/Rams leaving.  I never really gave SF a second thought, but the northerners were so adamant about how lame LA was.  My favorite comeback was always, “if NoCal is so great, why did you have to come south for school?”  I never got real answers.

I firmly believe the 2010 MLB postseason never happened, much like in 1994, to me there just was no World Series.  My hatred for all things Giants cannot accurately be put into words, it is a deep hatred and I want nothing but pain and suffering for that franchise and its battery-chucking fan base.  If I won the lottery, I’d buy the Giants, just so I could run them into the ground.  Either that or I’d sell the team to McCourt for $1 and let him do it himself.  Go Tigers.

October 24, 2012 2:54 pm

@DavidWinchell
 no so staunch re NL after all, perhaps.  Go Giants!  :)

October 24, 2012 5:04 pm

confessions::::yes I have said I spend a great deal of mula in the city of san fransico on a daily bases..it’s true…. but the money comes from a native son of detriot..my father in law… RIP… so may My best team win….LOL

October 24, 2012 5:25 pm

woohoo

October 24, 2012 5:26 pm

Adios pelota!

October 24, 2012 5:27 pm

@RDPinSB  @Steve in North Hollywood
 Good point re people from northern cal – why did they go south to go to college?  I can’t imagine going somewhere, e.g., UCSB and then criticising the whole area.  Santa Barbara is cool as ever.  I spent some time there at the university’s history library researching stuff and I was treated wonderfully.

October 24, 2012 5:33 pm

@RDPinSB  @Steve in North Hollywood  @Tom in San Mateo
 grad of UCSB myself…1976

October 24, 2012 5:36 pm

@rotarandy  @RDPinSB  @Steve in North Hollywood
 I didn’t go to school there.  Was spending time at my sister’s house for a while a few summers ago and spent a few days at the university Civil War library. Full access, didn’t need any papers, etc., just spent a few days going over muster rolls, etc.

October 24, 2012 5:40 pm

What are people doing here?  The Lakers vs Clippers preseason game doesn’t start for almost two hours?

October 24, 2012 5:45 pm

@Steve in North Hollywood
 first look I will have of lakers because of time warner…

October 24, 2012 5:48 pm

@Steve in North Hollywood
 I thought the NHL was in lockout.  :)

October 24, 2012 5:49 pm

again

October 24, 2012 6:12 pm

Adios pelota!  Segundo por Sandoval!

October 24, 2012 6:16 pm

@rotarandy
 better peek out your front window to see what Howie might be doing to your car.  you’re starting to sound and look like a G’s fan.  The WooHoo hardly helped.

October 24, 2012 6:21 pm

Howie…how in the Fuck am I going to get to the promised 500 pts. if you ain’t here liking me….

October 24, 2012 6:50 pm

@RDPinSB  @Steve in North Hollywood
 Please elaborate on the “battery-throwing” fan base.  When and where did this occur?  Por favor?

October 24, 2012 6:52 pm

@rotarandy
 Randy’s using bad words and probably thinking about chucking some batteries.  Must be a Giants’ fan.  :)

October 24, 2012 6:53 pm

@Tom in San Mateo
 don’t tell mom

October 24, 2012 6:54 pm

crackin up

October 24, 2012 6:54 pm

@rotarandy
 he’s out front of your house fucking up your car

October 24, 2012 6:55 pm

@Tom in San Mateo
 he is mad now

October 24, 2012 6:57 pm

Adios pelota!  Tercero por Sandoval!

October 24, 2012 6:58 pm

@Tom in San Mateo
 6-0

October 24, 2012 6:58 pm

@Tom in San Mateo
 which one of four would it be..lucky me

October 24, 2012 6:59 pm

@Tom in San Mateo
 it’s a truck,suv and two sedans really

October 24, 2012 7:00 pm

@rotarandy
 does your father in law have a brother who has a middle-aged daughter?

now that was a good one!

October 24, 2012 7:03 pm

there are four unmarried grand daughters that I manage a small trust for…..lol

October 24, 2012 7:07 pm

the slow mo shots with ball and bat are so cool…

October 24, 2012 7:15 pm

you can see the wood wiggle or splinter…neat O

October 24, 2012 7:16 pm

wild.  saw that on Internet

October 24, 2012 7:20 pm

who would have ever thought that Lincecum would be relieving the Ace, Zito

October 24, 2012 7:20 pm

@Tom in San Mateo
 the double hit bat cracks

October 24, 2012 7:21 pm

@Tom in San Mateo
 the ball was spinning wild

October 24, 2012 7:22 pm

@Tom in San Mateo
 writing a song can you tell

October 24, 2012 7:23 pm

October 24, 2012 7:36 pm

funny one.  it’s been talked about lately how Verlander is dating Kate Upton, apparently a real hot actress.  [I wouldn't know]

Duane Kuiper just reported that he heard that she is now dating Pablo Sandoval.  HAHAHA

October 24, 2012 7:37 pm

You realize, Randy, that Howard’s gonna set his dog on you first and then ship her up here to rip off my balls.

October 24, 2012 7:41 pm

thanks for the place to hang howard…

October 24, 2012 8:40 pm

hmmm, wonder why Howard doesn’t like any of my posts tonight.  hold on, I think I can figure it out.

October 24, 2012 8:48 pm

Giants have now won Zito’s last 14 starts.  Zito beat Verlander.  I like

October 24, 2012 8:52 pm

@rotarandy
 yeah, thanks Howard.  Had a great time with Randy tonight.

October 24, 2012 8:55 pm

Sir Johnny D – was gonna update you on the WS  but saw you all lumped up in the your sleeping bag and heard some logs being sawed  and realized your were hibernating.  I’ll wait.

October 24, 2012 9:19 pm

@Tom in San Mateo aw shucks

October 24, 2012 10:24 pm

I heard there is a problem at the San Fransico Zoo……Panda killing Tigers….

October 25, 2012 2:41 pm

Francisco

October 25, 2012 2:46 pm

@rotarandy lions and tigers and bears, oh my. beat the giants. see ya at game time.

October 25, 2012 4:20 pm

howard in the house. let’s go tigers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

October 25, 2012 5:12 pm

and if you know me, you know I hate exclamation points

October 25, 2012 5:12 pm

home run, please.

October 25, 2012 5:13 pm

@rotarandy
 that would be tiger-killing panda

October 25, 2012 5:13 pm

the challenge is hereby put forth to tom. can you show up in a tie game or a game in which the giants are behind?

October 25, 2012 5:13 pm

I’m not watching the game, but gonna follow along when I can.  Oh, and for those that check out twitter, Jeff Daniels is going nuts.
Jeff Daniels ‏@Jeff_Daniels
Has that #)%*&! Bear hit it out yet?

October 25, 2012 5:14 pm

@Steve in North Hollywood  @Jeff_Daniels
 good one.  he does look a a big bear

October 25, 2012 5:14 pm

@Howard Cole
 done it a bunch already.  not as easy, of course, as having a 5 to nothing lead.

October 25, 2012 5:15 pm

@Howard Cole
 I think I just did.  it’s tied, Howard, 0 – 0.  aka, scoreless going into the bottom of the first

October 25, 2012 5:16 pm

for the record, last night I had something called ”startup recovery” with my computer, and by the time it went through its deal, the score was 4-0 and verlander looked liked chad billingsley, and I didn’t see much reason in conituiing.

October 25, 2012 5:17 pm

@Howard Cole
 I’d like to say it’s been kinda tough to do that lately and I guess I just did say that.  :)

October 25, 2012 5:17 pm

Hey Howard how are you? I am sick if the giants win tonite. I am hoping the the tigers get a win tonite. Go Tigers!!!

October 25, 2012 5:18 pm

by the way, bum only threw one strike in that first at bat, and it was the strike three pitch.

October 25, 2012 5:18 pm

@Howard Cole
 hey, Howie, can you do that startup recovery thing again tonight, please?

October 25, 2012 5:19 pm

@chasramsfan hey charles. I’m already sick from the giants winning the pennant, and even more sick after last night. but it’s a seven game series, and I’ll hold out hope even if the giants win tonight. but they won’t.

October 25, 2012 5:19 pm

prediction: scuataro does NOT get an  rbi here.

October 25, 2012 5:19 pm

tough play?

October 25, 2012 5:20 pm

fister wins the battle of pitches, 10-13.

October 25, 2012 5:21 pm

Jeff Daniels ‏@Jeff_Daniels
Scutaro is one 0-5 game away from being nicknamed Scooter.

October 25, 2012 5:21 pm

@Tom in San Mateo that happens in the detroit clubhouse. happened already, actually. you’ll find out right here in the second.

October 25, 2012 5:24 pm

@Steve in North Hollywood  @Jeff_Daniels
 who is Jeff Daniels?  don’t tell me Jack’s brother.

October 25, 2012 5:24 pm

fat bastard can’t move fast enough to get out of the way

October 25, 2012 5:25 pm

tim wallach coaching at first, obviously.

October 25, 2012 5:26 pm

fat bastard can move fast enough to score as well

October 25, 2012 5:26 pm

@Tom in San Mateo  He’s just this dude that lives in the apartment below me…

October 25, 2012 5:27 pm

@Tom in San Mateo come on, that’s the third base coach’s problem, hands down. what a boob. and you can’t have your supposedly knowing people making those kinds of mistakes in the world series.

October 25, 2012 5:27 pm

@Howard Cole
 guess they thought Pagan’s relay was high and sent him.  But ai agree.  Youi can’t send a behometh like Fielder to home unless you’re certain he’ll make it, esp with no outs

October 25, 2012 5:28 pm

@Howard Cole
 Howie’s making somewhat cryptic analogies.

October 25, 2012 5:29 pm

@Tom in San Mateo you don’t send anybody in that situation unless he can score standing up. absolutely moronic.

October 25, 2012 5:30 pm

Just got an e-mail from a buddy saying    “he was out…..all 300 pounds of him”

October 25, 2012 5:30 pm

@Tom in San Mateo that’s 575 pounds of panda and prince together. and I’d trade panda for prince in a heartbeat, as would you.

October 25, 2012 5:34 pm

get that friend of yours on the thread.

October 25, 2012 5:34 pm

@Tom in San Mateo tag on the ass

October 25, 2012 5:34 pm

@Howard Cole
 tried a few times already.

October 25, 2012 5:35 pm

@Howard Cole
 no, I would not.  I don’t like Fielder and would not want him on my team.

October 25, 2012 5:36 pm

@Tom in San Mateo why?

October 25, 2012 5:37 pm

it’s just as well. one giants fan is sufficient.

October 25, 2012 5:40 pm

@Howard Cole
 we already have one behemoth; plus, with the bag alleys here he’s too damn slow.  as you know G’s aren’t the sluggos they used to be.  doubles and triples.  I don’t think he fits.  plus, for me he’s too much one of those look at me players

October 25, 2012 5:40 pm

Jeff Daniels ‏@Jeff_Daniels
Love all the first timers SCREAMING…at a routine fly ball to CF. Was@kevinpollak one of them?

October 25, 2012 5:40 pm

ouch

October 25, 2012 5:41 pm

@Jeff_Daniels  Kevin Pollak rents out the spare bedroom in the apartment below me from Jeff Daniels.

October 25, 2012 5:41 pm

@Howard Cole
 we already how one of those insufferable look at me players in Barry Bonds.  enought of that type of player for me.  I wish tthe G’s had gotten rid of him before the home-run record bullshit which I can say I didn’t enjoy.  couldn’t have happend to a bigger prick is how I feel about it.

October 25, 2012 5:43 pm

well tom, you just got your win there. he’ll be out of the game momentarily and you can coast to victory. my guess is it’s not the way you would want to win, but this is really a shame. they have to take him out. he’s probably got a concussion. he simply has to come out. and he will probably between innings. what a shame.

October 25, 2012 5:44 pm

line drive to the head woke him up….or not

October 25, 2012 5:45 pm

@Steve in North Hollywood see if you can get him to do his shatner imitation.

October 25, 2012 5:45 pm

this’ll be the last guy he pitches to.

October 25, 2012 5:45 pm

that has to be fister’s last pitch there. I don’t see him coming out for the third. he can’t really.

October 25, 2012 5:47 pm

@rotarandy he’ll be in the hospital in 20 minutes.

October 25, 2012 5:48 pm

tigers will win this game if they continue to hit, giants dont have any offense… they will win the series in 5 games

October 25, 2012 5:49 pm

@Howard Cole
 sure hope he’s okay.  I never like to see any player hurt no what, what team.

October 25, 2012 5:49 pm

no matter what team

October 25, 2012 5:49 pm

@chasramsfan I don’t see it now. they’ve got to take fister out. in fact, they shouldn’t even let him hit. think how dangerous that can be.

October 25, 2012 5:50 pm

oh great, and he hits lefty too, with his pitching arm exposed. an american league right hander hitting from the left side. oy.

October 25, 2012 5:51 pm

@Howard Cole brain swelling

October 25, 2012 5:56 pm

pagan should go as cinderella for halloween. he’ll be horrible again next year, so we have that to look forward to.

October 25, 2012 5:58 pm

looked safe, but he would’ve been safe he just ran right through like a normal person.

October 25, 2012 6:00 pm

nice to see scutaro do something stupid for a change. maybe an omen.

October 25, 2012 6:01 pm

by this time last night, the game was already over. translation: this is better.

October 25, 2012 6:03 pm

e-6. the beginning of the end for sf.

October 25, 2012 6:05 pm

why am I posting by myself here.

October 25, 2012 6:09 pm

I think it has to do with the score. the second the giants get a lead, tom will chime in more.

October 25, 2012 6:10 pm

he was trying to win tacos for america

October 25, 2012 6:10 pm

@Howard Cole
 had to change clothes.  had a bunch of windows open and getting cool here.  Not in LA, you understand.

October 25, 2012 6:14 pm

@rotarandy
 read that yesterday.  I’ll go get a free taco.  haven’t been to Taco Bell in two years

October 25, 2012 6:14 pm

good one, Randy.  funny

October 25, 2012 6:15 pm

@Tom in San Mateo I just did the same thing, actually. it must be 65.

October 25, 2012 6:16 pm

so romo comes across well. likeable, even. too bad he looks like such a jackass on the field.

October 25, 2012 6:16 pm

crackin up

October 25, 2012 6:17 pm

satch batting again. looks like a bowery boy to me.

October 25, 2012 6:17 pm

@Howard Cole
 I can see the Satch take.  angular, elastic-looking face.

October 25, 2012 6:18 pm

@Howard Cole hey howard I lead you back here because you missed liking these posts for points

October 25, 2012 6:20 pm

in case no one noticed, this is actually a world series game. except for the dumb base coaching, but other than that, this is what it’s supposed to look like.

October 25, 2012 6:25 pm

If Bumgarner gets his delivery back for the series the Tigers are in for a rough go for the title.

October 25, 2012 6:27 pm

@Tom in San Mateo it’s just one game, and he’s pitching at home. detroit is an entirely different animal. I’m holding out hope for this game.

October 25, 2012 6:28 pm

@Howard Cole
 I agree.  we’ll certainly see.  G’s are good road team this year.  real good road team.  and they’re likely to knock a few out in Detroit, too, esp. with an extra hitter.

October 25, 2012 6:30 pm

ok, now I get that snl sketch from last week.

October 25, 2012 6:30 pm

@Howard Cole
 cryptic, Howard.  wth are you talking about?

October 25, 2012 6:30 pm

@Tom in San Mateo that brad pitt commercial. they did a thing on it on snl but I hadn’t seen the actual spot till just now. now it’s funny.

October 25, 2012 6:32 pm

so randy, you think brandon crawford is related to willie crawford?

October 25, 2012 6:33 pm

@Howard Cole I am afraid you seek knowledge from wrong source..

October 25, 2012 6:34 pm

@rotarandy you don’t remember willie crawford?

October 25, 2012 6:35 pm

@Howard Cole
 I forgot all about willie crawford.  had to look him up

October 25, 2012 6:35 pm

Where Bud, The Commish

October 25, 2012 6:38 pm

@Howard Cole I don’t remember much of anything these days…turn 58 tomorrow and have been killing brain cells for some 45 years..

October 25, 2012 6:38 pm

@rotarandy well, happy birthday, my friend. hang onto to what’s left of those cells, will ya. you’ll need them for next year’s thread.

October 25, 2012 6:40 pm

@Howard Cole But it is not the years but the milege that scares me…

October 25, 2012 6:41 pm

October 25, 2012 6:41 pm

that’s it, all right?

October 25, 2012 6:43 pm

@rotarandy  @Howard Cole
 man, you guys are old bastards.  I still have my wife buy my beer.  :)

October 25, 2012 6:45 pm

nice eye, omar. jeez.

October 25, 2012 6:47 pm

is that all the troops we got over there??

October 25, 2012 6:47 pm

all of 10 or 11 ???

October 25, 2012 6:48 pm

I saw more than that on any given weekday at starbucks when I was living in san diego.

October 25, 2012 6:51 pm

@Howard Cole
 what on earth are you guys tqlking about?

October 25, 2012 6:53 pm

Giants drafted Fister out of HS but he didn’t sign.

October 25, 2012 6:53 pm

@Howard Cole
 I think I figured it out.  soliders in the stands?

October 25, 2012 6:54 pm

@Tom in San Mateo  @Howard Cole the game cut to a shot of our troops  it was like a empty room

October 25, 2012 6:54 pm

G’s need Posey and Pence to get hot

October 25, 2012 6:57 pm

@Tom in San Mateo no they don’t.

October 25, 2012 7:01 pm

@Tom in San Mateo smart man.

October 25, 2012 7:01 pm

do so.  :)

October 25, 2012 7:01 pm

Sure glad this is a G’s home game

October 25, 2012 7:02 pm

cabrera owes the world a homer now.

October 25, 2012 7:02 pm

no he doesn’t

October 25, 2012 7:02 pm

@Tom in San Mateo I’m not.

October 25, 2012 7:02 pm

this is the inning.

October 25, 2012 7:03 pm

@Tom in San Mateo toche.

October 25, 2012 7:03 pm

he’s not throwing that hard. cabrera shouldn’t have a problem here.

October 25, 2012 7:04 pm

I’ll take a walk.

October 25, 2012 7:05 pm

@Howard Cole I.m shameless

October 25, 2012 7:06 pm

if detroit had more hitters who could work counts, bumgarner would be at 100 pitches already.

October 25, 2012 7:06 pm

quick, run for him!

just kidding.

October 25, 2012 7:07 pm

we wuz robbed.  that was a strike

October 25, 2012 7:07 pm

think how important that base coaching mistake is now. wow.

October 25, 2012 7:07 pm

@Tom in San Mateo infield practice. bumgarner could’ve run the ball to second and still gotten him at first.

October 25, 2012 7:08 pm

Detroit has three industrial fire hydrants come to the plate in a row.  No taco for America from this trio.

October 25, 2012 7:09 pm

oy

October 25, 2012 7:09 pm

it’s been 11 years. can we get back to just take me out to the ballgame already? c’mon. enough.

October 25, 2012 7:12 pm

G’s have better runners and athletes and never thought I’d say that.  G’s were always the sluggos going up against the D’s and the Cards who always had speedsters

October 25, 2012 7:13 pm

that’s bochy too. you can’t steal bases with a manager who just sits there. ala mattingly. bochy’s great.

October 25, 2012 7:14 pm

Guess we’re gonna starve tomorrow, Randy.  Doesn’t look like there’s a Doritos Locos Taco in either of our immediate futures.

October 25, 2012 7:15 pm

doesn’t this feel like a giants dodgers game, circa 2012. dodgers can’t score and blow their one big chance. then the giants win in the late innings. piece of cake for them

October 25, 2012 7:15 pm

fister still in there. wow.

October 25, 2012 7:15 pm

@Tom in San Mateo consider yourself lucky.

October 25, 2012 7:16 pm

@Howard Cole
 Howie just called me fat

October 25, 2012 7:16 pm

I’m having don jose frozen tacquitos right now. all i can taste is the corn tortilla. ugh.

October 25, 2012 7:17 pm

good at bat for pence there.

October 25, 2012 7:17 pm

@Howard Cole
 I know what you’re talking about and I agree.  Funny, was just thinking the same thing when that guy was singing.  I agree.

October 25, 2012 7:18 pm

Going to finish game from   Z sushi  …next game boys…be safe

October 25, 2012 7:19 pm

@rotarandy
 later, Randy.  have a nice evening.

October 25, 2012 7:20 pm

@rotarandy that’s your second z sushi mentioned on the thread. must be good.

October 25, 2012 7:24 pm

you should get the game right here, tom. more dodgers like play. bring in the lefty to face the lefty and walk him. lame.

October 25, 2012 7:24 pm

they’re trying to give you an out and you can’t even get one.

October 25, 2012 7:25 pm

well, looks like I’m getting my wish, right? I asked for a sweep.

October 25, 2012 7:26 pm

classic.

October 25, 2012 7:27 pm

that might be enough right there, and fister would actually get the loss.

October 25, 2012 7:28 pm

I’m surprised about this move. really surpised. probably a big break for detroit and bochy’s first mistake. course, he doesn’t know theriot like we do.

October 25, 2012 7:30 pm

tom gets his lead and yet no comment? what gives?

October 25, 2012 7:31 pm

I want two.  concentrating

October 25, 2012 7:31 pm

@Tom in San Mateo understood. but I think you can relax now.

October 25, 2012 7:36 pm

doubt it.  yaneverknow

October 25, 2012 7:38 pm

@Tom in San Mateo yes you do.

October 25, 2012 7:38 pm

@Howard Cole
 a lot of speculation that Bum went from damn good to poor because of overwork.   so it makes sense from that pov

October 25, 2012 7:39 pm

@Tom in San Mateo could be just that.

October 25, 2012 7:39 pm

@Howard Cole
 yeah, but I’d be a jerk and maybe a jinx, too, if I said so.

October 25, 2012 7:39 pm

@Tom in San Mateo maybe vogelsong too. but that is my one problem with bochy. he does run his starters into the ground. pretty much always has.

October 25, 2012 7:40 pm

without a murmur of protest.

October 25, 2012 7:40 pm

You have to many threads… clean out that closet.  So I get no response to my comment so I am going yo paste it in  …
Yo Howie. how you be, different game if they don’t send Prince?  Lets face it he’s no”Little Red Corvette” on the bases…

October 25, 2012 7:41 pm

yeah, it was absolutely ridiculous. total brain cramp by lamont out there. he shouda had second and third and no outs. that’s the whole game right there. just like the dodgers and tim wallach.

October 25, 2012 7:42 pm

@Rickstr
 I’d say so. he was the first out.

October 25, 2012 7:42 pm

my thread is acting wierd. I’m seeing rick’s comment, then i’m not, then I am, and now I’m not again.

October 25, 2012 7:43 pm

why is this clown still out there?

October 25, 2012 7:43 pm

he’ll bunt

October 25, 2012 7:45 pm

he should.

October 25, 2012 7:46 pm

@Tom in San Mateo now that’s 0-2 he’ll just single him to third.

October 25, 2012 7:46 pm

squeezed? what? c’mon.

October 25, 2012 7:47 pm

this just boggles my mind. smyly has absolutely nothing and yet he’s out there. I mean, wow.

October 25, 2012 7:48 pm

omg. scutaro doesn’t come through for a change.

October 25, 2012 7:49 pm

a breathe of fresh air.

October 25, 2012 7:49 pm

mmmm, taco tomorrow.

October 25, 2012 7:49 pm

you don’t get your bunt down so you steal a base. that’s managing. and we never see it in l.a.

October 25, 2012 7:50 pm

I’ll skip that one.

October 25, 2012 7:50 pm

can we have a pitching change now please?

October 25, 2012 7:50 pm

good point

October 25, 2012 7:51 pm

dotel was a horrible dodger, so a three run homer would be just about right here. on the other hand, it  looks like he’s lose 25 pounds, so who knows.

October 25, 2012 7:51 pm

@Howard Cole
 I remember when he was on the A’s.  he’s been on a dozen teams, I think.  a whole bunch, anyway

October 25, 2012 7:52 pm

@Tom in San Mateo mattingly will ALWAYS choose the bunt over the steal. doesn’t matter who’s at the plate of who the runner is. that’s just what he does.

October 25, 2012 7:52 pm

@Tom in San Mateo just about a team a year…or more.

October 25, 2012 7:52 pm

@Howard Cole
 I’ll likely skip the taco too.

October 25, 2012 7:53 pm

@Tom in San Mateo or at least spend the 80 cents and get something edible, on a day when you won’t have to wait an hour.

October 25, 2012 7:54 pm

@Howard Cole
 he used to strike out a lot of batters. not sure how he does now.  he’s nearly 40

October 25, 2012 7:54 pm

I take back what I said. he’s only lost 10 pounds. or 8.

October 25, 2012 7:55 pm

@Howard Cole
 I don’t handle crowds.  not even sure what’s being given away.  a thumbnail-sized taco probably

October 25, 2012 7:55 pm

did you hear that? they just said 13 teams.

October 25, 2012 7:55 pm

oy

October 25, 2012 7:56 pm

I’m sure they’ll get at least one more run here, and probably two or three. oy.

October 25, 2012 7:56 pm

now that I think of it, dotel was great with the astros when he was younger. but that was ages ago. still throws reasonably hard, but I don’t have a lot of confidence in him.

October 25, 2012 7:58 pm

it would take a miracle now. you can start the celebration in san mateo.

October 25, 2012 7:59 pm

wow.  I thought 12 was too many.  more like 10.  which is very many

October 25, 2012 8:00 pm

not me.  yaneverknow

October 25, 2012 8:00 pm

so they get a run on three walks and a fly ball on an 0-2 pitch. in other words, oy.

October 25, 2012 8:01 pm

@Howard Cole
 well put.  esp. the two letter summation.  :)

October 25, 2012 8:02 pm

@Tom in San Mateo when I had craving a couple of weeks ago, I actually went to both the taco bell and del taco websites to see if there was one near me. luckily, there wasn’t.

October 25, 2012 8:02 pm

mccarver summed that up well. he takes a lot of grief, but I think he’s pretty good.

October 25, 2012 8:03 pm

I’m local radio all the way.

October 25, 2012 8:04 pm

@Howard Cole
 I’m local radio all the way.  and Internet boxscore

October 25, 2012 8:04 pm

@Tom in San Mateo I always have the boxscores in front of me too. I like to be up to date on pitch counts, especially. and during the year, averages, rbis, etc.

ah the regular season. those were the days.

October 25, 2012 8:06 pm

ok. here we go to the ninth. I’m thinking one, two three and we head to detroit.

October 25, 2012 8:06 pm

Howard, sorry to say but I’m not sure you’re spelling oy correctly.  hehe, haha

October 25, 2012 8:08 pm

@Howard Cole
 me too.  If I’m listening to game I go back and forth between this thread and boxscore.  know’s who’s coming up in the next inning, etc.

October 25, 2012 8:09 pm

dog’s being obnoxious. can’t wait five minutes, obviously.

October 25, 2012 8:11 pm

and she’s not very sensitive.

October 25, 2012 8:11 pm

@Howard Cole
 Rin-Tin-Tin makes me protect myself, esp. when Howie’s pissed off and I feel like braggin’.

October 25, 2012 8:13 pm

May I say WooHoo!

October 25, 2012 8:15 pm

I just heard that the Tigers were only shutout two times this year.  Amazing!

October 25, 2012 8:15 pm

yes, you may. congrats, tom. you’re halfway there. but forgive me if I exit quickly. don’t see much reason to watch the postgame.

October 25, 2012 8:16 pm

@Howard Cole
 thanks for a fun evening, Howard!

October 25, 2012 8:16 pm

they’re horrible. they get to the series just to get swept. just like last time. fuck them.

October 25, 2012 8:16 pm

@Howard Cole great for bbq also….

October 25, 2012 8:39 pm

If you see this Johnny D go back to sleep.  No news here that you want to see.

October 27, 2012 2:49 pm

can we speed up the singing here, please. c’mon. some of us have to work in the morning.

October 27, 2012 4:55 pm

Watchin’ and workin’ at the same time………. Go Tiggers!

October 27, 2012 5:08 pm

scutaro 0-1. he stinks.

October 27, 2012 5:11 pm

posey 0-1. he stinks too. and once again, we have no giants fans here in a tie game.

October 27, 2012 5:14 pm

there goes the perfecto.

October 27, 2012 5:23 pm

there goes the no-hitter, and vogelsong making a lot of pitches.

October 27, 2012 5:27 pm

brilliantly turned? wtf. it’s prince fielder running. c’mon man. whatever. that sucks.

October 27, 2012 5:30 pm

and still no tom.

October 27, 2012 5:30 pm

no commish either, for that matter. I’m leaving at 7 my time, just fyi, so be here soon or be here alone.

October 27, 2012 5:30 pm

I was hoping the fat bastard Fielder would hit a homer so I could arrive with the Giants down in the linescore but I guess I’ll drop in when it’s still tied.

October 27, 2012 5:33 pm

@Tom in San Mateo yeah, like I’m going to believe you were hoping to be down by three to start the game. nice try, though.

October 27, 2012 5:34 pm

gee, another unforced error by detroit. nice catch there.

October 27, 2012 5:37 pm

throw strikes, douche.

October 27, 2012 5:38 pm

sickening.

October 27, 2012 5:40 pm

another great play by the tigers. wow. this isn’t just a sweep. it’s a humiliation.

October 27, 2012 5:44 pm

Howard, take it out on me.  I’m worried for your dog.

October 27, 2012 5:45 pm

@Tom in San Mateo my dog is more than safe. and you’re what, 400 miles out of reach. I’ll save my wrath for the tigers.

October 27, 2012 5:45 pm

and I’ll probably be gone by the time the commish gets here. this is pretty much of a waste of time.

October 27, 2012 5:46 pm

@Howard Cole
 I know you love you pooch.  joking.

October 27, 2012 5:46 pm

G;s have three centerfielders out there.  All can cover ground.  It’s beautiful.  Just beautiful.

October 27, 2012 5:52 pm

@Howard Cole
 Your dog looks like a service dog.  Is she?

October 27, 2012 5:55 pm

huh? pence is a center fielder? he’s not even a right fielder.

October 27, 2012 5:55 pm

@Howard Cole
 disagree.  he covers a lot of ground.  he could easily be a CFer

October 27, 2012 5:55 pm

@Tom in San Mateo nope.

October 27, 2012 5:55 pm

@Tom in San Mateo go ahead and extend him. I’d love it.

October 27, 2012 5:56 pm

@Howard Cole
 hope they do.  they should.  RBI machine.

October 27, 2012 5:57 pm

horrible game, horrible series. nightmare all the way around.

October 27, 2012 5:57 pm

scutaro 0-2. he stinks.

October 27, 2012 6:01 pm

ooh, this is a scintilating interview. jeez.

October 27, 2012 6:04 pm

@Howard Cole
 wonderful game, wonderful series, a G’s fan’s daydream all the way around.

October 27, 2012 6:14 pm

detroit gets a second chance. lets see if they have anything in them.

October 27, 2012 6:15 pm

just what I expected. awful.

October 27, 2012 6:15 pm

13 people listening and not a word from any of the others?  is that an accurate count?

October 27, 2012 6:22 pm

really nobody’s listening. it’s just you and me. and commish will hear about it, trust me. but I’m going to dinner in about half an hour. will listen in the car and watch once I get there….not there will be any reason to

October 27, 2012 6:26 pm

@Tom in San Mateo duh.

October 27, 2012 6:29 pm

@Howard Cole
 if you turn into a pumpkin at 7pm how you gonna fit in the car to drive any where?

October 27, 2012 6:33 pm

@Tom in San Mateo small pumpkin, big front seat.

October 27, 2012 6:40 pm

oh good. tigers are setup for another dp.

October 27, 2012 6:50 pm

I like it when we agree

October 27, 2012 6:50 pm

oh man. and my wife’ll probably call just when cabrera gets to the plate….IF he gets to the plate….and then it’s dinner time.

October 27, 2012 6:57 pm

tigers could really use a hbp here.

October 27, 2012 6:59 pm

what a tough pitch to take

October 27, 2012 7:00 pm

90 pitches

October 27, 2012 7:00 pm

well this is essentially the entire series. if cabrera can’t do it, and they don’t score yet again, that’s it.

October 27, 2012 7:01 pm

the series is yours.

October 27, 2012 7:02 pm

yaneverknow

October 27, 2012 7:04 pm

sorry I missed the action  with youyall tonight will check for last horawsunday???

October 27, 2012 9:34 pm

@rotarandy sorry? you are incredibly lucky. and what action? I didn’t see any action. I’m making no promises on tonight. might be here, might not.

October 28, 2012 11:36 am

I am 5 pts, shy of 500 deed some back-up later tonight….

October 28, 2012 1:30 pm

I am 5 pts. shy of 500     need some back-up later tonight……

October 28, 2012 1:32 pm

@rotarandy for you, fine. but don’t count on much in the way of banter from me.

October 28, 2012 2:35 pm

Hi Howard. Just dropping by for a sec. Busy, busy, busy. But before it’s over, I just wanted to back up every single word you said up above. I’ve been saying (with my daughter posting it on Facebook w/ 10 likes so far) that if the Hated Ones were to play communist China in an actual World Series, I’d be rooting for the Chinese. And if they were playing the Taliban All-Star team, I’d have to think about it.

October 28, 2012 5:04 pm

@Howard Cole  @rotarandy
 them Giants are indeed multi-talented.  Even handy with a cork.  ;)

October 28, 2012 5:10 pm

@Eric Monson Well said, Eric, thanks. But I guess as long as they’re going to win anyway, we might as well get it out of the way tonight. I’m still hoping for a first-ever-in-history comeback from down 0-3. It’s mathematically possible, right?

October 28, 2012 5:11 pm

@Tom in San Mateo  @rotarandy well for some, champagne is a performance enhancing drug, so it makes sense. go tigers!

October 28, 2012 5:11 pm

pagan whiffs. giants stink.

October 28, 2012 5:17 pm

if tom wants to show up for the celebration only he’ll be here by himself for that one.

October 28, 2012 5:24 pm

@Howard Cole
 I’m here, Howie.  and posting.  sheesk!

October 28, 2012 5:25 pm

@Tom in San Mateo you were hoping to get out to a quick lead, obviously.

October 28, 2012 5:27 pm

@Howard Cole
 of course, and I was here since before “Play Ball”

October 28, 2012 5:29 pm

@Howard Cole
 The tigers can beat Cain.  they can beat any pitcher.

October 28, 2012 5:30 pm

Following his triple crown season of 1967, Carl Yastrzemski hit .400 in the World Series, on 10-25 hitting with three home runs.

October 28, 2012 5:33 pm

@Tom in San Mateo how do we know that?

October 28, 2012 5:34 pm

memo to randy: the only way to get to 500 points before christmas, if not before april, is to post a good 10 or 15 times tonight. the ball is in your court.

October 28, 2012 5:35 pm

@Howard Cole  @Tom in San Mateo
 well, being a Dodgers’s fan this year, maybe you don’t.

October 28, 2012 5:35 pm

satch rips one.

October 28, 2012 5:37 pm

oy. here we go. I’m planning my exit right now.

October 28, 2012 5:38 pm

on the bright side, schertzer has four outs tonight.

October 28, 2012 5:38 pm

Gigantes Madera!

October 28, 2012 5:39 pm

in case it needs repeating, and it does, it is only because of ryan theriot’s absolutely uselessness that the giants saw the need for marco scutaro at all. in other words, if theriot had just been below average bad, or capable of hitting .260 with a .310 on base percentage, there would have been no scutaro, no division, no pennant and no championship. i’m just saying, it’s the revenge of the ex-dodgers. whereas the revenge of the ex-giant is juan uribe. and jason schmidt.

October 28, 2012 5:43 pm

@Howard Cole
 Theriot is tough at the plate.  Quityerbellyachin’

October 28, 2012 5:45 pm

Hey commish….come in she said I’ll give you shelter from the storm….

October 28, 2012 5:46 pm

Kent, Finley, et al

October 28, 2012 5:48 pm

2 pts. from the promised land..

October 28, 2012 5:49 pm

@rotarandy Nice Dylan referral……

October 28, 2012 5:49 pm

that’s a point for randy, as he tries to join the 500 home run club. in fact, why don’t you name as many as you can in separate comments. that’ll put you close to it right there. and don’t say you don’t know. you can name a few of them.

October 28, 2012 5:49 pm

@The Commish
 be safe over there…

October 28, 2012 5:49 pm

@rotarandy four points by my count.

October 28, 2012 5:49 pm

what a rally!!

October 28, 2012 5:50 pm

@rotarandy Hey thanks — did you guys feel an earthquake today on the left coast?  On the right coast, it isn’t even raining here yet. Weird… waiting.

October 28, 2012 5:50 pm

@Howard Cole
 Gaints are on desolation row…

October 28, 2012 5:51 pm

tigers…lol

October 28, 2012 5:51 pm

@The Commish
 so glad you know left from right…

October 28, 2012 5:52 pm

@The Commish  @rotarandy I didn’t feel it. the giants are my earthquake. Ive been desensitized.

October 28, 2012 5:53 pm

@Howard Cole
 Are dodger fans tangled up in blue….?

October 28, 2012 5:54 pm

@Tom in San Mateo brett butler. juan marichal.

October 28, 2012 5:54 pm

tigers can’t do anything right. what a disgrace.

October 28, 2012 5:55 pm

@rotarandy barely.

October 28, 2012 5:57 pm

it’s so good to know that if someone tells me to get a life, I can point to that chick.

and dirks runs like james loney.

October 28, 2012 5:58 pm

panda can strikeout five times tonight and still win the mvp.

October 28, 2012 6:01 pm

I hate, really hate to say this, but are the Giants the 2012 version of the 60′s Dodgers?  Obviously not the overwhelming pitching of Koufax/Drysdale/Podres/Osteen, but decent enough and some clutch hitting.

Pitching always wins (plus crap hitting from Detroit)

October 28, 2012 6:01 pm

I miss baseball.

October 28, 2012 6:02 pm

And Sandoval is in frickin’ fire!

October 28, 2012 6:02 pm

Oh yay — Giants didn’t actually score.

October 28, 2012 6:02 pm

@The Commish
 and Alston was a good manager.  which the D’s don’t have today.

October 28, 2012 6:03 pm

@Tom in San Mateo Alston was a great manager. And agreed, we don’t even have a good one.  But if we had Sandy , Big D, and Tommy Davis and Frank Howard, even Mattingly couldn’t blow it.

October 28, 2012 6:04 pm

Hey, stop adding points for Bud’s tally just for the hell of it.  Make him earn them.  With wit, wisdom, and wonderful baseball wonkiness.  I better not look back, somebody might be gaining on me.  :)

October 28, 2012 6:05 pm

this is a good outline of imporant mlb dates. I didn’t realize that eligible players actually become free agents immediately after the world series, and can sign with any team on the sixth day. that’s new stuff.

October 28, 2012 6:05 pm

@Tom in San Mateo
 I’m proud all my pts . are from BS..

October 28, 2012 6:07 pm

@Howard Cole
 er, ah, there’s a WS game going on, Howie.  Criminy!

October 28, 2012 6:07 pm

@Tom in San Mateo  @Howard Cole aaah, shaddup. er, ah.

October 28, 2012 6:08 pm

@The Commish  @Tom in San Mateo yes he could. with the sacrifice alone he could.

October 28, 2012 6:08 pm

@The Commish
 yep, he was great.  no doubt.  one of the best.

October 28, 2012 6:08 pm

@Tom in San Mateo since when?

October 28, 2012 6:08 pm

@Howard Cole  @Tom in San Mateo LMAO.

October 28, 2012 6:08 pm

.142 BA by LA in ’66, thanks a-hole , Buck.

October 28, 2012 6:09 pm

it’s even worse that in a year we have to endure the giants winning, and it has nothing to do with the dodgers, we have to hear about 1966 over and over and over again.

October 28, 2012 6:09 pm

@Howard Cole  @Tom in San Mateo
 the answer my friend is blowing in the wind.

October 28, 2012 6:10 pm

@rotarandy  @Howard Cole  @Tom in San Mateo Along Highway 66.

October 28, 2012 6:10 pm

@Howard Cole Hey, there are no IBWAA dates in there. WTF??

October 28, 2012 6:11 pm

@The Commish  @Howard Cole  @Tom in San Mateo
 thats 61 revisited

October 28, 2012 6:11 pm

What ,no DP?

October 28, 2012 6:11 pm

Hey, Bud, my brother nd his family are in Jersey City.  Are they gonna ht walloped by this bigass storm?

October 28, 2012 6:11 pm

@rotarandy  @Howard Cole  @Tom in San Mateo yeah, shit, you’re right.

October 28, 2012 6:12 pm

Hey, I was wondering – does anybody know what the Dodgers batted during the 1966 World Series?

October 28, 2012 6:12 pm

@The Commish I was gonna start with the awards this week. maybe I’ll wait another week. not sure.

October 28, 2012 6:12 pm

“I don’t believe what I just saw!!”

October 28, 2012 6:13 pm

I can’t freaking believe it.

October 28, 2012 6:13 pm

Damn, I post a smartass comment and just like that Cabrera hits a two run homer.  Better shut up.

October 28, 2012 6:13 pm

wow

October 28, 2012 6:13 pm

@Tom in San Mateo pay attention.

October 28, 2012 6:14 pm

@Tom in San Mateo Yeah, for sure, unfortunately. Worst is not so much rain and wind, but the loss of power.  And flooding of course. No rain/wind in NW NJ yet. But it’s coming. Tonight, all day Monday, most of day Tuesday.  Schools all closed. Mass transit shut down tonight.

October 28, 2012 6:15 pm

Like a rolling stone that thing carried….

October 28, 2012 6:15 pm

@Tom in San Mateo Wow, Giants first team to lose 4 in a row in World Series after being up 3-0. How’s that for wonkiness??????????????

October 28, 2012 6:16 pm

jeez, look at these numbers. nine and a half years and cabrera has 1800 hits, 320 homers, 1100 rbis and all kinds of other stuff. right up there with pujols…except quite a bit younger.

October 28, 2012 6:17 pm

@rotarandy I was gonna see if I could start a thread of lyric references to bto (that’s bachman turner overplay) but thought better of it.

October 28, 2012 6:18 pm

@rotarandy And nobody has ever taught you how to live on the street . And now you find out you’re gonna have to get used to it

October 28, 2012 6:19 pm

randy is determined tonight. I love it!

October 28, 2012 6:19 pm

@The Commish  @rotarandy
 Positively 4th Street

October 28, 2012 6:20 pm

joe carter 396

October 28, 2012 6:20 pm

al kaline 399

October 28, 2012 6:21 pm

@Howard Cole  @rotarandy
 I’d prefer that you didn’t go Takin’ Care of Business like that.

October 28, 2012 6:21 pm

ok, l’m switching to famous marcel marceau quotes.

October 28, 2012 6:22 pm

@Howard Cole ” “

October 28, 2012 6:23 pm

I asked randy to name the 500 club and he’s yet to chime. c’mon man. you can do it. that’ll get you 500 points all by itself.

October 28, 2012 6:23 pm

@Howard Cole
 OK but make sure we still have somebody all along the watchtower…

October 28, 2012 6:23 pm

Detroit flashing some leather!

October 28, 2012 6:24 pm

@Howard Cole
 and I thought you wanted dylan references….

October 28, 2012 6:24 pm

@Howard Cole
 is this a baseball blog???

October 28, 2012 6:25 pm

@The Commish
 We do that in San Francisco all the time.  HAHAHAHAHA.  now that was funny.c’mon, line up the likes for the Dubble Ontendree

October 28, 2012 6:25 pm

@rotarandy  @Howard Cole
 The blog don’t work cuz the vandals stole the handles

October 28, 2012 6:29 pm

@rotarandy  @Howard Cole
 vandals “took” the nahdles

October 28, 2012 6:29 pm

@rotarandy when dylan gets into the 500 club, then fine.

October 28, 2012 6:30 pm

@rotarandy move over rover, let howi come over.

October 28, 2012 6:30 pm

@Howard Cole  @rotarandy
 crackin up.  that was funny, Howi

October 28, 2012 6:31 pm

@Tom in San Mateo  @rotarandy I’ve thought about changing my name.

October 28, 2012 6:32 pm

414 darrell evans

October 28, 2012 6:33 pm

@Howard Cole  @rotarandy
 with a named like Howi you could be a Shaman, a PBS philosopher, a High Priest of your own made-up religion, hell, I’d do it. esp. if you need a job.

October 28, 2012 6:34 pm

@Howard Cole  @rotarandy
 and wanna make a heap of dough high a church steeple.

October 28, 2012 6:35 pm

I’ve still got randy at 496 points. is that what you guys are seeing?

October 28, 2012 6:36 pm

my god;

would you please
just go away already ?

what is it, a half dozen threads
since the end of dodger season ?

you’re like a nagging ex-wife
that just won’t fucking quit.

it’s like every fucking day,
here;s that bitch again.

stop !

October 28, 2012 6:37 pm

since fox is lazy and I’m not:

December 8, 2009: Traded as part of a 3-team trade by the Arizona Diamondbacks with Daniel Schlereth to the Detroit Tigers.  The Detroit Tigers sent Curtis Granderson to the New York Yankees.  The Detroit Tigers sent Edwin Jackson to the Arizona Diamondbacks.  The New York Yankees sent Phil Coke and Austin Jackson to the Detroit Tigers.  The New York Yankees sent Ian Kennedy to the Arizona Diamondbacks.

October 28, 2012 6:38 pm

@larrydoby close your eyes and imagine you’re someplace else. it’ll be over soon enough.

October 28, 2012 6:39 pm

@larrydoby
 did I miss something?  I don’t understand the subject, the object, the intent and so on and so forth

October 28, 2012 6:40 pm

@Tom in San Mateo  @larrydoby of what?

October 28, 2012 6:41 pm

@Howard Cole  @larrydoby
 of Larry’s post

October 28, 2012 6:41 pm

tigers need insurance. 2-1 probably isn’t gonna get it done.

October 28, 2012 6:42 pm

billy williams 426

mike piazza 427

October 28, 2012 6:45 pm

paying attention, mattingly?!!

October 28, 2012 6:46 pm

@Tom in San Mateo  @larrydoby what, it isn’t self-explanatory?

October 28, 2012 6:46 pm

howie …you don’t really want me to list the 498 players that fall between babe ruth and gary sheffield …do ya?

October 28, 2012 6:47 pm

@rotarandy ok, I’ll give you credit for those two. keep going. one per comment will serve your purposes.

October 28, 2012 6:47 pm

here’s a hint, oh _____, candy bar.

October 28, 2012 6:48 pm

hint: willie m____

October 28, 2012 6:48 pm

@Howard Cole  @Tom in San Mateo

porch monkeys;

please.

the constant barrage of continuous emails AFTER the
dodger bitches are nowhere to be found in the post season.

let’s just take our licking & go away for
the off season & be better next year.

need i spell it out further ?

now go fuck yourselves until pitchers
& catchers are called to arizona ….

October 28, 2012 6:51 pm

@larrydoby  @Howard Cole  @Tom in San Mateo
 clam down and take that stick out of your ass…

October 28, 2012 6:52 pm

@larrydoby  @Tom in San Mateo you can unsubscribe or subscribe, but not both. if I remove you, you’ll have to take the initiative to get back on next year. or god fobid, you can use your delete button.

October 28, 2012 6:53 pm

randy, randy, randy!!!

October 28, 2012 6:54 pm

@Howard Cole
 seems like dude is going out of his way here…no?

October 28, 2012 6:54 pm

@rotarandy  @Howard Cole  @Tom in San Mateo

divorce is not the
issue here sweetheart;

it’s that were the dodgers
got beat & went home.

the season is over until next.

you can’t voice a grievance
like that to get rid of me.

just like an ex-wife; you’ll
hear from here every month.

on the back of your checks …..

October 28, 2012 6:56 pm

@larrydoby  @Howard Cole  @Tom in San Mateo
 Oh I get it   …your lonely….well welcome home then honey.

October 28, 2012 6:57 pm

@larrydoby  @rotarandy  @Howard Cole  @Tom in San Mateo larry….. you are one whacked out…human (give you the benefit of the doubt)

October 28, 2012 6:58 pm

oy!

October 28, 2012 6:58 pm

I knew 2-1 wasn’t going to do it. start counting down the outs.

October 28, 2012 6:59 pm

As soon as I get back on the thread… my fault. Totally.

October 28, 2012 6:59 pm

I was gonna say Scherzer is to Verlander as Smoltz was to Maddux.  An analogy for you SAT fans.

October 28, 2012 7:00 pm

@The Commish why, was chris capuano involved? you’re off the hook.

October 28, 2012 7:00 pm

@The Commish  @rotarandy  @Howard Cole  @Tom in San Mateo

finally;

there’s the love & approval
i was truly seeking here.

just NEEDED to complete this lesson
in futility with the commish chiming in.

now it’s official.

i go hibernate in peace the rest
of the winter until spring training ….

October 28, 2012 7:01 pm

@Howard Cole Oh, you had to throw Caps back at me.  We are all in the dumps, no prob.

October 28, 2012 7:01 pm

hey, at least we don’t have to hear the 66 series crap anymore. i mean, if we’re gonna talk sweeps, there have been far too many to call out the dodgers.

October 28, 2012 7:01 pm

@larrydoby  @rotarandy  @Howard Cole  @Tom in San Mateo thank you , fans, you’re welcome… i sent larry to hibernation. sleep well, you freak. LOL.

October 28, 2012 7:02 pm

I bet Skowron homered for AL and NL>

October 28, 2012 7:04 pm

panda may have blown his chance to get his series average over .600 tonight. he sucks.

October 28, 2012 7:06 pm

c’mon fielder, hit your weight. hit marco scutaro’s weight.

October 28, 2012 7:06 pm

you’re running outta baseball, randy! it’s up to you.

October 28, 2012 7:07 pm

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

October 28, 2012 7:07 pm

he ripped that.

October 28, 2012 7:07 pm

At least this has a semblance of a baseball game.

October 28, 2012 7:08 pm

matt cain is not particularly handsome. he looks like his name should be gomer or something.

October 28, 2012 7:08 pm

@The Commish a semblance is good. I’ll take a semblance.

October 28, 2012 7:08 pm

@Howard Cole or Heathcliff. (no offense to Slocumb)

October 28, 2012 7:09 pm

@The Commish could I have fries with my semblance please?

October 28, 2012 7:09 pm

@Howard Cole I knew those college words would baffle you.

October 28, 2012 7:09 pm

@The Commish I got thrown out of college for cheating………….. with the dean’s wife.

October 28, 2012 7:10 pm

Tom crawled back in his hole?

October 28, 2012 7:10 pm

@Howard Cole Oh Groucho, you card.

October 28, 2012 7:10 pm

@The Commish I was just gonna say something like that. a semblance of that.

October 28, 2012 7:10 pm

I’ve been to detroit twice and never thought I’d want to go back. but I wouldn’t mind being there right now.

October 28, 2012 7:11 pm

if bochy doesn’t get cain outta there now, he’s mattingly.

October 28, 2012 7:11 pm

@Howard Cole We could make a Seinfeld episode out of the word semblance.

October 28, 2012 7:11 pm

@Howard Cole Ouch, the ultimate insult.

October 28, 2012 7:12 pm

@The Commish woody allen, actually. from his ’65 ish standup album.

October 28, 2012 7:12 pm

Hey I reached Hank Aaron on the comment count.

October 28, 2012 7:12 pm

@The Commish
 you get candy bar

October 28, 2012 7:13 pm

@The Commish it’s on cd. you gotta get it. there’s a great bit on how when he’s making love, in an effort to maintain, he thinks of baseball players. and the thing was recorded in frisco, so you can imagine.

October 28, 2012 7:13 pm

@Howard Cole Just thinking of Prof. Wagstaff in Horsefeathers.

October 28, 2012 7:14 pm

@The Commish not on mine. I got you at 717, but there’s still time.

October 28, 2012 7:15 pm

@The Commish it really is

October 28, 2012 7:15 pm

so I’m starting yet another “diet.” gotta lose 20. talk about oy! I had a salad for dinner, which means I’m hungry again already.

October 28, 2012 7:16 pm

@Howard Cole I think you get a  commission from Ebay.

October 28, 2012 7:16 pm

@Howard Cole
 never liked busy work from teachers either.

October 28, 2012 7:17 pm

No bunting??? Heresy, I say!!

October 28, 2012 7:17 pm

@The Commish  @rotarandy  @Howard Cole  @Tom in San Mateo

it’s not complete without saying;

commish, go fuck yourself ….

October 28, 2012 7:17 pm

@larrydoby  @rotarandy  @Howard Cole  @Tom in San Mateo right back atcha, compadre.

October 28, 2012 7:19 pm

@The Commish you better hurry. it expires tomorrow, and you could spend a lot more. if you like the wood man, that is. if not, go ahead and pass. it’s great stuff.

October 28, 2012 7:21 pm

so randy, what fun places did you go to this weekend? any good eatz?

October 28, 2012 7:21 pm

oh man. this guy bites it. leyland’s askin for trouble.

October 28, 2012 7:22 pm

big out.

October 28, 2012 7:24 pm

Blanco should have stole 3rd.

October 28, 2012 7:24 pm

uh oh. here comes dotel!!

October 28, 2012 7:25 pm

@Howard Cole
 saw dylan and mark knoffler friday night…that was cool..

October 28, 2012 7:26 pm

Now for something completely different — Colts win in OT today, now 4-3. Now I only expected them to win  6 or 7 this year, so this is already a good year.

October 28, 2012 7:27 pm

@rotarandy  @Howard Cole wow — great!

October 28, 2012 7:27 pm

And Pagan pulls a Loney.

October 28, 2012 7:28 pm

Boy, were they off-key or what?

October 28, 2012 7:30 pm

@The Commish
 HELLO

October 28, 2012 7:30 pm

@rotarandy ah, so that’s it. we need some dire straits lyric references. sometimes you’re the louisville slugger, sometimes you’re the ball seems apt.

October 28, 2012 7:30 pm

@The Commish dishonorable discharge. actually, I just did that between innings.

October 28, 2012 7:31 pm

@Howard Cole
 so far away from here ..your so far away from here

October 28, 2012 7:31 pm

@Howard Cole Only possibility is that they couldn’t hear themselves. Happened to McCartney on SNL.

October 28, 2012 7:31 pm

@The Commish that’s a worse diss than bochy or leyland pulling a mattingly.

October 28, 2012 7:32 pm

@The Commish

October 28, 2012 7:32 pm

@Howard Cole thanks!

October 28, 2012 7:32 pm

@The Commish which reminds me of the father guido sarducci bit outside paul’s house.

October 28, 2012 7:33 pm

cain still out there. wow.

October 28, 2012 7:33 pm

I’m still seeing randy at 496. anyone else seeing that?

October 28, 2012 7:36 pm

by the way, where’s tom?

October 28, 2012 7:36 pm

been at 498 for ever here

October 28, 2012 7:37 pm

you got 1120

October 28, 2012 7:38 pm

well there was no way dotel was going to pitch well into a second inning, even though he only went a third.

October 28, 2012 7:41 pm

panda’s gonna ace the whole thing right here.

October 28, 2012 7:42 pm

511 mel ott.

October 28, 2012 7:43 pm

vinny would have a field day with that rundown.

October 28, 2012 7:44 pm

ernie banks and eddie matthews 512

October 28, 2012 7:45 pm

nice hair, marco.

October 28, 2012 7:45 pm

i’m handing the 500 club to randy on a silver platter. all he has to do it cut, paste and add a lyric of his choice.

October 28, 2012 7:45 pm

@Howard Cole
 I show 510  did two posts get by me??

October 28, 2012 7:45 pm

@rotarandy you got 496, unless a couple people come to your defense. I’m pretty sure that’s what it is. but maybe we’ll have a game tomorrw.

October 28, 2012 7:47 pm

@Howard Cole
 keep the club but I will take the silver,,,

October 28, 2012 7:47 pm

I take that back about dotel. that’s the highlight of his career right there.

October 28, 2012 7:48 pm

@rotarandy it’s fake silver, actually. reynolds wrap, to be precise.

October 28, 2012 7:50 pm

tom gone. tom can’t handle the truth.

October 28, 2012 7:52 pm

did we lose commish too? sheesh.

October 28, 2012 7:52 pm

ted williams, willie mccovery and frank thomas. 521. although it doesn’t seem right having thomas right there.

October 28, 2012 7:53 pm

@Howard Cole
 my point totals and comments totals are different…

October 28, 2012 7:55 pm

good at bat. way to start the inning.

October 28, 2012 7:56 pm

498 and 521

October 28, 2012 7:56 pm

“most feared hitter in the game.” buck needs a couple new lines.

October 28, 2012 7:56 pm

how in the world can bochy leave aftedt in here? wow.

October 28, 2012 7:57 pm

doesn’t matter that fielder’s up next. he’s got a better lefty in lopez anyway.

October 28, 2012 7:57 pm

bleep

October 28, 2012 7:57 pm

fielder couldn’t hit water if he fell out of a boat.

October 28, 2012 7:59 pm

dude after a refresh I got 538 thank you all very much

October 28, 2012 8:02 pm

oh shit, you’re right. ok, see ya next year then.

October 28, 2012 8:03 pm

tell me again what  amount of points gets what ????

October 28, 2012 8:03 pm

@rotarandy 542 points gets you a dirt from my cleats. the real prizes start at 555.

October 28, 2012 8:04 pm

what if I get comment # 538 and pts. 538 at same time ???

October 28, 2012 8:04 pm

mickey mantle. 534!!!

October 28, 2012 8:04 pm

jimmy foxx. 536

October 28, 2012 8:05 pm

better hurry.

October 28, 2012 8:05 pm

can I take these points into next season ???

October 28, 2012 8:06 pm

@rotarandy to next season, to disneyland, to costa rico, to your grave. they’re yours to use as you please.

October 28, 2012 8:07 pm

oops. I mixed up foxx and mantle. that should read foxx 534 and mickey 536. I suck.

October 28, 2012 8:10 pm

cmon put a tiger in the tank

October 28, 2012 8:12 pm

Foiled again…..

October 28, 2012 8:14 pm

did you see that shot of 10,000 giants fans waiting to celebrate? oh man, can we please send them home unhappy please. drunk, but unhappy.

October 28, 2012 8:16 pm

is this the tenth inning or the twilight zone…..????

October 28, 2012 8:31 pm

@Howard Cole
 wow this just showed 15 minutes after you posted…

October 28, 2012 8:32 pm

@rotarandy can it be both?

October 28, 2012 8:34 pm

main squeeze just went walking, tired of waiting for the game to end.

October 28, 2012 8:34 pm

my livefyre was in some zone for 25 minutes ..your posts were hidden..wtf

October 28, 2012 8:35 pm

@rotarandy it’s just as well. this thing is over. and bleeping a, scutaro is going to get the series winning hit.

October 28, 2012 8:39 pm

here we go. this is it, folks.

October 28, 2012 8:39 pm

@Howard Cole
 even my wife is wondering why  that outfeilder did not dive for ball

October 28, 2012 8:40 pm

@rotarandy mine doesn’t care.

October 28, 2012 8:41 pm

Can’t stand watching this alone.

October 28, 2012 8:43 pm

@dodgerblueyes I can’t stand it at all!!!

October 28, 2012 8:44 pm

@Howard Cole Well, that too.  But I left the pub I was at so I could get away from the Jints fans.

October 28, 2012 8:44 pm

free agency starts in five minutes. so at least there’s that.

October 28, 2012 8:45 pm

Howard, you’re right about theriot being another ex-Dodger having an impact.

October 28, 2012 8:45 pm

@dodgerblueyes smart!

October 28, 2012 8:45 pm

@eppis1 I never said that. he’s horrible. piece of crap.

October 28, 2012 8:45 pm

Just glad I don’t have to see the worst beard in baseball closing it out.

October 28, 2012 8:46 pm

we might as well trot out the “without a murmur of protest” card right now.

October 28, 2012 8:46 pm

@eppis1 Second worst.

October 28, 2012 8:46 pm

why these guys even bother to bring a bat to the plate is beyond me. might as well be swinging pencils up there.

October 28, 2012 8:47 pm

it would be fitting for cabrera to get on somehow and then have fielder make the last out.

October 28, 2012 8:48 pm

Really?  There has to be a John 3:16 sign–what is this, a football game?

October 28, 2012 8:49 pm

@dodgerblueyes if only.

October 28, 2012 8:50 pm

Where’s Dancing Barry when we need him?

October 28, 2012 8:50 pm

BOOOOO

October 28, 2012 8:50 pm

It’s the end of the world as we know it.

October 28, 2012 8:51 pm

sickening.

October 28, 2012 8:51 pm

@dodgerblueyes
 we needed you earlier

October 28, 2012 8:51 pm

@rotarandy Sorry :(

October 28, 2012 8:52 pm

@eppis1 at jacopos.

October 28, 2012 8:52 pm

harmon killebrew 573

October 28, 2012 8:53 pm

Oh, the humanity.

October 28, 2012 8:53 pm

I liked last year’s ending better.

October 28, 2012 8:53 pm

Won’t have to listen to Buck & McCarver for a long time. That’s the bright spot in a dismal series. Thanks to you Howard, for this forum. I enjoyed it.

October 28, 2012 8:58 pm

@Howard Cole Funny. I should have said Crashing Barry.

October 28, 2012 9:09 pm

Go Lakers.

October 28, 2012 9:11 pm

Appropriate post-game celebratory toast for the Jints:  http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/6249/ciscoh.jpg

October 28, 2012 9:12 pm

@Eric Monson lakers are going to be horrible. go dodgers. they’ll have more wins by the end of the nba season than the lakers do.

October 28, 2012 9:24 pm

@Howard Cole Well, go Dodgers obviously! But you really think the Lakers will be horrible? I don’t. I don’t think they’ll be 82-0 like some of the idiots I hear, but I think by season’s end they’ll be in the mix for the title. Anyway, whatever the Lakers’ win total, I certainly hope the Dodgers have more by the end of June.

October 28, 2012 9:34 pm

Very good information could be discovered on this internet website…

June 6, 2013 7:42 am